Pest and weed controller Job Profile and Description
Pest and weed controllers have to keep the plants healthy and to keep them free from weds so that they can grow in healthy conditions. They have a very important role to play in the maintenance of nurseries, gardens and farms. They have to make sure that the plants are not affected by any insects or pests and also keep them free from weeds so that they can grow in healthy conditions.
Duties and Responsibilities
There are the following duties and responsibilities which have to fulfill by a pest and weed controller:
- Pest controllers have to identify the problem first of all and have to study about the problem and the pest species which has to be removed.
- He or she will have to see that what can be done for controlling the pests only by tackling the source of the problem or the ‘nest’ can they really get rid of the pests
- He or she will be needed to spray or release natural and chemical solutions or gases to remove the pests.
- It will be needed sometimes to set traps to kill pests and vermin, like mice, ants, termites, and cockroaches etc.
- He or she will have to save the buildings and surrounding areas from infest.
- He or she will have to remove the weeds and pests from the cultivated areas so that the parasitic plants cannot steal the nourishment from the soil
- They will have to try their best to let the flowers and crops grow in a healthy way and surroundings.
- He or she will have to spend long hours, depending on the season and the problem so it will be the duty to do the work perfectly.
- It will be also needed to have licenses in order to work with these chemicals to remove the pests.
Skills and Specifications
One needs to possess the following skills and specifications for the job:
- The candidate should have a very good knowledge about the Pest controls and need to be aware of the various chemicals to be used to drive pests away
- He or she should have the knowledge of the amount to be administered so that it is not harmful to either plants or humans
- He or she needs to have very good interpersonal skills to analyze the situation deeply.
- He or she must be courteous and professional when dealing with customers very nicely.
- As the job requires a lot of hard work so he or she should be in good physical conditions as they need to travel long distances and also may have to carry heavy equipment
Education and Qualifications
- The candidate desiring for the job of a Pest controller need to have at least a high school degree.
- It will be an advantage if the one is going for courses in chemistry or biology
- Most pest or weed controllers learn their work on the job.