Building Engineering Inspector Job Description and Profile
The Building Engineering Inspector has to work under a general supervision. The person needs to be very skillful to do the job and expected to gain sufficient level of knowledge and proficiency. The job entails learning and assisting in the grading and building inspection, reviewing of plans, processing permits.
Duties and responsibilities
The basic duties and responsibilities of a building engineering inspector are as follows:
- The building engineer inspector has to assist applicants in the completion of building permit applications perfectly.
- It will be the responsibility to answer the queries on building code construction requirements in person and via the telephone.
- The building engineering inspector has to review and oversee all plans of accessory buildings and structures for code compliance.
- It will be needed to calculate and compute the fees for residential buildings;.
- He or she needs to review and interpret technical materials relating to building codes; keeps and maintains necessary records of fees and permits.
- He or she needs to assist the engineering inspectors in the inspection of buildings that are being constructed as well as grading projects.
- It will be needed to provide the assistance in the inspection of substandard buildings for violations of building, housing, zoning and health codes and ordinances.
- It will be needed to do the documentation work and supply of evidence for prosecution of cases such as those related to such violations.
- He or she must be able to learn to read specifications and plans to assure code compliance.
- The person has to take actively part in attending conferences and training courses.
Skills and Specifications
The required skills and specifications are as follows:
- The person must have the ability to read and interpret structure and building plans as well as grading and specifications perfectly.
- He or she should be well aware of all kinds of building codes and grading laws and regulations.
- He or she should be able to apply different procedures and systems of legal enforcement and/or prosecution.
- The person should be able to adept at the use of personal computers and other office equipment when needed.
- The person should have the ability to deal effectively deal with the public to secure full cooperation and maintain harmonious relationships with them.
- The person should be able to make effective decisions and able to maintain impartiality and objectivity in the formation of decisions.
- He or she should be able to perform mathematical computations easily and perfectly.
Education and Qualifications
- The person needs to have a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
- He or she has got the certificate by recognized office or agency in building inspection.
- The other requirements for the job is at least two years of past working experience and building construction that strongly demonstrates knowledge and competence in construction plans as well as Uniform Building Codes perfectly.