Infection Control Job Profile and Description
The Infection Control practitioner is the one who needs to report to the director of nursing and has the responsibility to do the planning, developing, directing, implementing and evaluating infection prevention and control activities within a hospital or heath care centre. He or she works as a member of the committee of hospital. It will be needed to work for the infection control and control team of infection. He or she has to supervise the infection control services for patients, visitors and staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
There are a wide range of duties and responsibilities which are required to be fulfill by a Infection Control practitioner:
- He or she has the prime duty to conduct the regular rounds in hospital departments.
- It is needed to discuss and follow the practices of infection control with staff people.
- The person has to collect the data on infections from hospital departments and maintaining records.
- He or she is responsible for conducting the training sessions to ensure constant implementation of infection control practices.
- It is needed to conduct the continuous surveillance for detecting the infection source for the purpose of prevention.
- He or she has to follow the investigation of the incidents of hospital infections, generating reports and reporting them to Director of Nursing.
- It is needed to ensure the availability of supplies and place needed for isolation.
- He or she needs to implement the educational programs for the provision of skills and knowledge.
- It is needed to implement the programs related to the infection preventive measures and control practices to ensure a safe environment or surroundings to patients, visitors and staff.
- He or she needs to monitor the execution of preventive measures and providing guidance to staff properly.
- He or she needs to take part actively in the unit meetings, in-service education programs, and quality improvement initiatives.
- He or she has to participate in the infection control team meetings and assisting in their organization.
- He or she has the responsibility to report to the infection outbreaks directly to the Director of Nursing.
- He or she is responsible for preparing monthly statistical information for presentations in infection control meetings.
- He or she has to make sure that the staff is free from any infectious disease.
- The person also has to do the initiating of emergency, fire safety measures, and safety practices as necessary.
Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications required to do the job are as follows:
- The person needs to be very highly energetic individual to develop teaching materials and training programs.
- He or she should be able to plan and obtain objectives to ensure the development of service.
- The person needs to have proper required knowledge of techniques for data collection.
- He or she should have the ability to conduct training seminars and exercises regularly.
- He or she needs to have the required knowledge of the nursing practice and theory to do the job.
- The person should have the excellent analysis and statistical collation skills.
- He or she should have the qualities of being a good leader.
- He or she should have the excellent team working skills and the ability to work alone.
- The other skills required are the excellent written, interpersonal, time management and presentation skills.
- He or she should have the flexibility to meet a wide range of service needs to do the job.
Education and Qualification
- The basic degree required fro the job is A Bachelor’s degree in medicine from a recognized nursing school.
- The other requirement is having Diploma in Infection Control field and in the nursing field.
Popular Job Description Search:
- infection control officer job description
- infection control job description
- infection control manager job description
- infection control officer duties
- job description of infection control officer
- infection control assistant job description
- job responsibilies of an infection control officer
- responsibilities of the infection control officer in the nursing home
- sample of job descriptions of a infectious disease nurse
- job description infection control officer
Filed in: Health care job description