Legal Secretary Job Profile and Description
The job profile of a ‘Legal Secretary’ involves performing various legal secretarial duties. They mainly provide complete and efficient clerical support; prepare motions, pleadings, discoveries, and all other court filings. They also handle litigation correspondence and, provide efficient and helpful legal services.
Duties and Responsibilities -
- Assisting lawyers for litigation related matters, transcribing, and drafting pleadings.
- Attending telephone calls and visitors, providing information related to legal procedures.
- Drafting various documents and reports, and maintaining legal files.
- Operating office equipments like typewriter, copier, stenographic machine, and computer.
- Preparing, and filing legal documents with courts and agencies
- Proofreading and making corrections in documents and letters like grammar, spelling, punctuation, format, and content
- Keeping track of litigation and providing assistance for case management
- Assessing and approving legal documents for disposition.
- Assisting for budget preparation
- Compiling data to fit in in periodic and special reports.
- Preparing notebooks for trials for presenting legal case to attorney.
- Arranging and ensuring the accurateness of various correspondences.
- Preparing and gathering documents, materials, and appearing in hearings and meetings
- Arranging the activities of attorney that includes commitments for conferences, and other appointments.
Skills and Specifications -
- Good knowledge of legal practices.
- Must be able to prepare reports and correspondence.
- Must be able to handle people swiftly, and reasonably.
- Should come up with creative ideas effectively and accurately.
- Good speed in typewriting
- Must have carefulness and keep privacy for various matters.
Education and Qualifications -
- High school diploma and, Legal secretarial course work.
Filed in: Legal Job Description