Housemaids, also known as housekeeping cleaners and domestic helpers are tasked with performing routine and special home maintenance chores to keep the home tidy, clean, clothes laundered, dried and ironed and kitchen dishes washed. They are also tasked to assist in non-routine home chores from time to time. They are trained in the proper use of prescribed cleaning equipment such as consumer grade floor polishers, vacuum machines, washers and driers.
Housemaids/Domestic Helper Duties and Responsibilities
- Complete routine cleaning tasks in assigned home areas
- Collect dirty and used clothes for scheduled laundry
- Empty waste bins, empty and clean/replace ashtrays, and dispose of all trash and waste items from rooms
- Collect and clean dishes after each meal
- Maintain kitchen and bathroom cleanliness after use
- Dust window blinds and rearrange draperies to their original placements
- Clean rugs and carpets, upholsteries, curtains and draperies, using specified vacuum cleaners and shampooers.
- Sweep, mop and polish non-carpeted floors,
- Perform general cleaning at least once a week or month depending on homeowner requirement
- Clean kitchen equipment after use such as ovens, stoves, blenders, etc.
- Ensure house security and alert systems are activated at night
- Assist in the procurement of groceries
Housemaids/Domestic Helper Skills and Specifications
- Must be dependable, responsible, honest and hart working
- Must be able to follow directions
- Must have good interpersonal skills to get along with other people
- Must have manual dexterity in the use of cleaning tools and appliances
- Must have a cheerful disposition and willing to work under dirty conditions
Housemaids/Domestic Helper Education and Qualifications
No formal education is required and most skills are learned on-the-job or through informal training conducted by employers
Housemaid/Domestic Helper Salary
The median hourly wage of housemaids / domestic helps stood at around $9.13 in 2008. The middle 50% received between $7.92 and $11.10. The lowest 10% earned $7.09 and the highest 10% earned $13.72.
Popular Job Description Search:
Filed in: Management Job Description