Reconstructive/Plastic Surgeon Job Profile and Description
A plastic surgeon is a doctor specializing in the reconstruction of skin, muscles, tissues, ligaments and bones for either cosmetic purposes or for treating burn or accident victims as well children with physical deformities in any part of the body. Cosmetic surgeons are the most popular for enhancing looks and can specialize in liposuction, breast augmentation, tummy tuck, double chin removal, facelifts, rhinoplasty, abdominoplasty, hair transplants or eyelid surgery among ladies.
Reconstructive/Plastic Surgeon Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform corrective, reconstructive or cosmetic surgery as required in treating a patient in compliance with state and hospital regulations.
- Provide patients seeking cosmetic surgery with information on the surgical procedures, cost and risk along with alternatives available.
- Work closely with other doctors in patients diagnosed with congenital diseases or victims of traumatic accidents requiring reconstructive surgery
- Coordinate with hospitals for use of operating rooms and facilities in non medical cosmetic surgical procedures.
- Coordinate with hospital administrative staff for professional fees in its hospital billing services.
- Attend local and overseas conferences and symposia on emerging trends in reconstructive and cosmetic surgery.
- Participate actively in collegial meetings and team work when evaluating diagnosis and designing treatment plans for patients with potential reconstructive surgery requirement.
Reconstructive/Plastic Surgeon Job Skills and Specifications
- Should have knowledge in the use of high technology devices and tools in diagnosing and treating skin disorders.
- Should have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Should have excellent interpersonal and people management skills
Reconstructive/Plastic Surgeon Job Education and Qualifications
- A doctor of medicine with a state license to practice as a doctor is essential requirement.
- Passing the certification exams of the American Board of Dermatologists is basic
- Membership in a dermatological association is an added advantage
Reconstructive/Plastic Surgeon Job Salary
A Reconstructive/Plastic Surgeon’s annual salary may range from $125,000 to $330,000 which includes bonuses and commissions.
Filed in: Medical Job Description