Dental Nurse Job Profile and Description
Dentists are in charge of providing preventive and restorative treatments for dental problems, that is, related to the mouth and teeth and a dental nurse assists dentists in various procedures and treatment in hospitals, schools, clinics, nursing homes etc.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Dental nurses work with dentists and orthodontists to provide dental care to patients
- They examine a patient’s teeth and gums, make models of patients’ teeth and do other basic procedures
- They remove plaque and tartar deposits, clean or whiten the teeth and take x-rays
- They teach patients how to improve at-home dental care to prevent future cavities and to ensure general oral health
- They also assist dentists during serious procedures such as filling cavities or performing root canals or other surgeries
- They should also follow proper safety procedures.
- Dental nurses adhere to strict sanitary and hygiene guidelines
- In case of surgeries or serious procedures, proper radiological and anesthesia guidelines should be followed to ensure that both the hygienist and patient are safe
- They should have knowledge of various dental tools and should keep themselves updated on the latest technology in the field
- They also take care of certain administrative duties like taking appointments, greeting patients, helping with instruments, updating data etc
- They should be able to comfort patients during surgeries and other procedures
Skills and Specifications
- Dental nurses need to have a pleasant personality as many patients are children
- They should have a good sense of hygiene and should be able to communicate well
- They should have basic knowledge of computer to be able to do administrative tasks
- They should be organized and be able to do multi-task
Education and Qualifications
Dental nurses should at least have a degree from an accredited dental school. They should also have a license and need to take entrance/ written exams if required.
Popular Job Description Search:
Filed in: Nursing Job Description