Nursing Assistant Job Profile and Description
A Nursing assistant’s job description involves delivering patient care and providing safe environment for the patients. Nursing assistant performs duties under the maximal supervision of nursing staff. Most Nursing assistants complete nursing assistant certification course for better employment in extended care facilities, home health, hospitals or a private home.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting with admission as well as discharge of patients.
- Ensuring a safe and clean environment for patients and health care team.
- Following assigned facility policies, procedures and restraints.
- Performing all the activities of day-to-day living, including complete bed baths, skin care, oral hygiene, or turning patient as indicated.
- Performing nursing tasks like collection of specimens, vital signs, as directed.
- Providing proper and safe care of valuables and clothing of a patient.
- Taking vital signs like blood pressure, respiratory rate, temperature, and pulse.
- Assisting in shifting of patient.
- Reporting every change in patient condition to supervisor nurse.
- Maintaining strict confidentiality of patient at all times.
- Following the precautions of infectious diseases to prevent the overall spread of organisms.
- Managing proper intake and outbound documents, patient condition according to the designated policies and procedures of facility.
- Performing duties as assigned by supervisor.
Skills and Specifications
- Ability to perform physical activities like heavy lifting, and prolonged standing.
- Able to respond appropriately even in stressful situations.
- Demonstrate suitable personal hygiene.
- Good nursing assistant skills.
- Able to communicate with others effectively.
- Adheres to the health care procedures and policies.
- Able to provide direct care in a kind and compassionate manner.
Education and Qualifications
- State approved Certified Nursing Assistant certification or enrolled in the course.
- Degree in related field of health and science from an accredited institution.
- Should have interest in health care education.