Psychiatric Nurse Job Description and Profile
Under general supervision, the job of a Psychiatric Nurse entails provision of psychiatric nursing care to chronically or acutely sick patients. He learns to performs a wide range of duties when it comes to psychiatric nursing that’s required to care for mentally ill patients. He likewise performs related tasks and duties required of him to do.
Duties and Specifications
- Observes patients on a day-to-day basis to identify and document emotional and physical conditions and patterns like suicidal or assaultive behavior and their response to medication or treatment.
- Assists in the formulation of diagnosis and implementing patient treatment plans which are observation-based.
- Provides intervention to those patients who experience acute episodes.
- Participates in counseling sessions, recreational therapy sessions and family conferences to help patients understand the nature of physical and emotional problems.
- Participates in various meetings in order to discuss patient medical care as well as progress.
- Administers and gives medications to patients, monitors the dosage and use and documents patients’ reactions.
- Gets social, family, psychiatric and medical histories of all new admissions.
- Obtains laboratory specimens and help doctors with patient examination.
- Schedules for all types of tests.
Skills and Specifications
- Able to understand and provide explanation to mental health rules and regulations.
- Should know the techniques, procedures and methods utilized in psychiatric nursing.
- Be able to learn the effects of psychotropic narcotics and drugs.
- Should be able to learn safety practices for patients.
- Be able to learn to recognize patterns of behaviors of mentally ill or disturbed patients.
- Able to learn the techniques, principles and theories of individual and group psychotherapy.
- Should be able to assess and evaluate requirements for mental and psychological health services.
- Be able to analyze any type of situation and take the appropriate course of action.
Education and Qualifications
One should possess a valid license for Registered Nurse issued by the State Board of Registered Nurses.
Popular Job Description Search:
- psychiatric nurse job description sample
- a sample of a psychiatric nurse job
- detailed job description of a nurse in the psychiatry
- job description of a psychiatric nurse
- job description sample of a psychiatric nurse
- job description template for psychiatric registered nurse
- psychiatric nurse detailed job description