Registered Nurse Job Profile and Description:
Registered nurses play a very important role in health care services. They not only promote good health but also educate and create awareness among the patients about various illnesses and their treatment. They assist patients in their rehabilitation and give emotional support to them.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Registered nurses may also work as general-duty nurses and are responsible for the overall care of patients
- They give medicines according to what has been prescribed by doctors
- They keep records of patients’ progress or any symptoms of illness
- They may have to supervise junior level nurses and plan their schedule
- Some of them specialize in a particular type of treatment, a disease or an organ
- They are also hired by schools and old age homes to provide care to children and the elderly, respectively
- They have to conduct physical examination of the patients and assist the doctor in diagnosing and treating common illnesses and injuries
- They give injections during immunization programs and take various samples for medical tests
- They check blood pressure or other chronic problems
- They also have to help in ECG tests, X-rays, interpret X-rays and other lab tests
- They give advice to the patients on healthy lifestyles and on post-surgery care.
- They receive special training in the use of anesthetics and work under the supervision of an anesthesiologist
Skills and Specifications
- A nurse needs to be compassionate and have good communication skills
- They must be knowledgeable about the basic medical care procedures
- They must be organized and supervise a team of nurses
- They must be able to deal with stress
Education and Qualifications
To become registered nurses, one must have a high school degree and then go for nursing degrees in medical colleges. There are some private institutes which offer diplomas and three-year degree programs too.