Wind Energy Engineer Job Profile and Description
With the current hub of alternative and sustainable energy sourcing, one of the energy generating technologies that have been around for decades but only now getting the proper emphasis apart from solar energy is wind energy. The Wind Energy Engineers design and develop the 21st century methods, systems and machines for harnessing wind energy by engineering the wind farm collection system sufficient to generate electricity.
Wind Energy Engineer Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, develop wind farm collection systems.
- Administer and examine wind farm construction to ensure compliance with regulatory standards or environmental requirements.
- Conduct surveys to identify geographic locations with windy conditions suitable for wind farming.
- Optimize operation of wind farms or wind farm components to ensure reliability, high performance, and compliance with specifications
- Design and develop software control algorithms, electronics, electromechanical, or electro hydraulic systems for wind turbines.
- Make certain of balance of plant (BOP) construction.
- Supervise generator installation, testing, commissioning, or supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA).
- Make models to optimize the design of wind farm access roads, crane paths, crane pads, substations, collection systems, switchyards, or transmission lines.
- Maintain wind farm schematic, and technical documentation for wind farms.
- Provide engineering technical support to designers of prototype wind turbines.
Wind Energy Engineer Skills and Specifications
- Should possess analytical and detail-centric comprehension skills
- Should possess outstanding grounding on power generation and engineering skills
- Should possess outstanding interpersonal skills
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills in English
Wind Energy Engineer Education and Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent college course is essential.
- Passing the licensure board exams to become a Professional Engineer may not be required but provided a competitive edge in promotions
- 2-3 years of experience in power generation gives an added advantage
Wind Energy Engineer Salary
The average annual salary for Wind Energy Engineers is $45 per hour or $90,000 per year. Just for perspective, petroleum engineers earned an average salary of 110,000 per annum and Nuclear Engineers about $98,000.