Biochemist Job Profile and Description
Biochemists with biomedical background in pharmaceutical companies work with a team of other scientists, notably chemists and microbiologists to develop the formulation of prescriptive pharmacological drugs. Also called pharmaceutical chemists, they perform intensive research, design, extraction, synthesis and cause the production of newly formulated drugs and therapies that comprise the chemical solutions for various ailments and injuries.
Biochemist Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct research and experiments to check out reaction of biological cells to various chemical stimulation to evaluate their action as ingredients in formulating pharmacological consumer products.
- Assist the pharmaceutical team in the design and formulation of drugs by performing clinical trials with lab animals.
- Enhance existing drug formulation to increase therapeutic value.
- Develop and test new drug formulation for possible FDA certification.
- Write reports on experiments and publish articles in scientific journals.
- Conduct classes in Chemistry 101 to chemical engineering and chemistry students at a university.
Biochemist Skills and Specifications
- Should have exceptional analytical and observation skills to identify unique biochemical reaction to specific drug formulation
- Should have a good foundation in statistical laboratory testing methodologies
- Should be willing to work long hours even under extreme work pressures
- Should have excellent verbal and written communication skills
Biochemist Education and Qualifications
- A Master of Science in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Chemical Engineering, Chemical Physics or equivalent courses is essential
- A PhD in any of these sciences is ideal
- 3-5 years of experience in laboratory or research work in a university or hospital is an added advantage
The average annual salary of Pharmaceutical Biochemist in private pharmaceutical companies is around $84,000. The middle 50% earned between $70,000 and $110,000 with the lowest 10% earning around $50,000 while the highest 10% earned around $125,000. Average annual salary for the position in the government research labs has the highest at $110,500.