Clinical Laboratory Technologist and Technician Job Profile and Description
The Clinical Laboratory Technologists and Technicians have the task of conducting laboratory tests, thereby detecting, diagnosing and treating different illness and diseases. Clinical laboratory technicians remain under the supervision of the clinical laboratory technologists and physicians. They mostly work in hospitals but some even work in research institutes and clinics. Commercial medical laboratories employ many other technicians.
Clinical Laboratory Technologist and Technician Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Playing a crucial role in the detection, diagnosis, and treatment of different types of diseases.
- Examining and analyzing the body cells, fluids etc in order to detect parasites, bacteria and all other types of other organisms.
- Studying the level of chemical in the fluids, carrying out transfusions by studying the quality of blood and analyzing the level of drugs in the blood.
- Preparing of specimens for examination in order to search for blood and body fluids in the body.
- Using of different types of sophisticated laboratory equipments for testing and examining a specimen and then analyzing the results in order to relay them to physicians.
- Performing different types of complex biological, chemical, hematological, microscopic, bacteriological etc tests.
- Evaluating of test results, developing procedures, and then establishing the accuracy of tests.
- Supervising of clinical laboratory technicians.
Clinical Laboratory Technologist and Technician Job Skills and Specifications
- Analytical bent of mind
- Good level of judgment
- Responsible in nature
- Ability to carry out complex tests
- Ability to evaluate
Clinical Laboratory Technologist and Technician Education and Qualifications
- The clinical laboratory technologist and technician require a minimum of a bachelor’s degree with a major in medical technology or related field.
- Masters in any other life sciences is an added advantage.
Clinical Laboratory Technologist and Technician Job Salary
The average annual salary of medical and clinical laboratory technicians is $40,000.
Filed in: Pharmaceutical Job Description