Pharmaceutical Technician Job Profile and Description
A pharmaceutical technician works in a hospital or retail pharmacy in an entry level position. He is responsible for providing assistance in the different kinds of work done in a pharmacy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- A pharmaceutical technician has to receive prescriptions and verify whether the information that has been provided in it is correct.
- He is responsible for maintaining the storage of the different medicines that are in stock in the pharmacy.
- He has to fill bottles with the prescribed medicines and fix the labels on them.
- He has to sterilize the glassware present and help in maintaining and cleaning the work area of the pharmacy.
- He is responsible for ordering medicines whose stock is almost over.
- He has to deal with clients directly. He has to give what the client requires, accept payment and enter the transaction in the pharmacy’s cash register.
- He may have to be responsible for preparing and processing medical claim records and forms.
- He has to receive any incoming shipment of medication and also has to handle all the related paperwork.
Skills and Specifications
- A pharmaceutical technician has to possess a desire to follow instructions of the supervisor to do well in this profession.
- He ought to have a very good sense of accuracy and be a quick learner.
- He ought to be willing to stand on his feet for a long time everyday.
- He ought to possess very good communication skills.
- He ought to have a working knowledge of computers.
- He ought to posses the ability to convey information effectively to clients regarding their health care requirements.
- He ought to have good math skills as he is also required to take care of the payments and the bills.
Education and Qualifications
A pharmaceutical technician ought to posses at least a high school diploma. Knowledge in medicinal products is an added advantage in this profession.
Filed in: Pharmaceutical Job Description