Retail Pharmacy Job Profile and Description
A person working in a retail pharmacy has to compound and dispense prescribed pharmaceutical products in retail outlets and sell non-prescription medicines and related products to the client. He has to make or supervise the preparation of liquid medicines, ointments, powders, tablets and other medications.
Duties and Responsibilities
- A retail pharmacist checks the prescriptions given by doctor’s for correct dosage and for drug interactions and incompatibilities
- He compounds prescribed medicines, and packages and labels them before giving to the client
- He stores and preserves vaccines, serums and other drugs which tend to spoil
- He has to safely dispense medical and surgical products as prescribed
- He records prescriptions dispensed, the issue of poisons, narcotics and other restricted drugs
- He gives advice and information to the client on the use and effects of different medications
- He can sell non-prescription drugs, toiletries, cosmetics and related commercial products
- He interprets and fills physicians’ prescriptions for clients
- He verifies all patient information before filling a prescription, especially when it comes to restricted drugs
- He provides medicinal consultation to clients while filling a prescription and over the counter medicines when required
- He makes entry of prescriptions into the pharmacy’s database
- He also has to contact physicians and benefits providers as necessary to process a prescription
- He may have to complete third-party insurance forms and other paperwork
Skills and Specifications
- He needs to give importance to patient confidentiality and behave very professionally with the clients.
- He should have knowledge of the medical compounds used before giving any advice
- He must have good communication and interpersonal skills
Education and Qualifications
A retail pharmacist should undertake a pharmacy technician program of six months to two years. They should have good medical knowledge, client service, drug reactions, interpreting prescriptions and know about dosage properly.
Popular Job Description Search:
Filed in: Pharmaceutical Job Description