Food and Agricultural Scientist /Technologist Job Profile and Description
The Food and Agriculture Scientists/Technologist harnesses the principles of microbiology, chemistry, engineering, and other sciences in studying the processing, preservation and deterioration of foods. They employ the research disciplines to analyze food content to determine nutrient levels, identify and develop new food sources and conduct research to make better processed foods that are more palatable and healthful, have longer shelf lives and better packaged.
Food and Agricultural Scientist / Technologist Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct research in developing raw material substitutes, replacement of discredited preservatives and additives.
- Conduct research on enhancing food processing control to achieve higher quality and nutritional value.
- Collaborate with food processing industrial engineers, food manufacturing plant managers, packaging and marketing specialists to address problems in product development.
- Develop improved techniques for preserving, processing, packaging, storing, and delivery of processed food products.
- Develop new food products based on consumer tastes and preferences.
- Develop food processing standards and specifications, safety, sanitary and hygiene regulations as well as waste management guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with government regulations and standards for sanitation, quality, safety and environmental protection.
- Test new products and conduct food demonstrations to select market segments.
Food and Agricultural Scientist / Technologist Skills and Specifications
- Should have the unique analytical and deductive reasoning abilities
- Should have excellent organizational skills for sorting through research data
- Should possess excellent oral and written communication skills
Food and Agricultural Scientist / Technologist Education and Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree in agricultural sciences like botany is sufficient for most private industries.
- A master’s or doctoral degree is required for a careers in research or the academe
- 5-7 years of experience in research work gives an added advantage
Food and Agricultural Scientist / Technologist Salary
The average annual wages of Food / Agricultural Scientists and Technologists is $60,000 with the mid 50% earning between $45,000 and $85,000. The lowest 10% received about $35,000 while the highest 10% got around $110,000.
Filed in: Research Job Description