Operations Research Analyst Job Description
Operations research (OR) analysts are referred to as Management Scientists who are basically problem solvers. They are tasked to apply analytical research methods and mathematical models that assist management with policy formulation, organizational changes and other solutions to operational problems. The OR analyst focuses on practical workable solutions to address strategy, market forecasting, resource allocation, manufacturing and office facilities layout, personnel schedules, inventory control and distribution systems to mention some. Operations research analysts are employed in nearly all industries as companies need to effectively manage people, time, money, materials and equipment.
Operations Research Analyst Duties and Responsibilities
- Question why things are done as they and create models to simulate innovative ways of doing business.
- Manage and analyze large amounts of data to make sense.
- Clarify management objectives and see how operations meet these objectives.
- Observe the current system in operation to use a model of comparison.
- Apply simulation modeling, linear and non-linear programming and dynamic programming in developing the right flight schedules given the airline fleet and crew resources.
- Apply Markov decision processes to determine capital requirements for addressing emerging new markets.
Operations Research Analyst Skills and Specifications
- Should have ability to think laterally and creatively in solving operational problems
- Should have the ability to create econometric models that similar various operations of the organization the impacts the bottom line
- Outstanding interpersonal skills to deal with various management personalities in all levels of organization.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills in English
Operations Research Analyst Education and Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, statistics, mathematics, information systems is essential but many employers prefer a master’s degree in operations research or relative fields
- A dual degree in OR and computer science gives an added advantage
Operations Research Analyst Salary
The average annual salary of an OR Analyst is $72,000 with the mid 50% earning between $55,000 and $95,000. The highest 10% earned about $120,000 while the lowest 10% earned nearly $42,000. On the other hands, the average annual salary for OR Analyst in the Federal Government is $110,000.