Computer Security Job Profile and Description
A computer security specialist is an individual who has the overall responsibility of maintaining and updating the security of the computer systems of a company.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The computer security specialist has to use computers to program, enter data, write software, process information and set up functions.
- He has to keep himself updated technologically and find out new ways of providing and upgrading security for computers.
- He has to involve himself in developing plans to safeguard the computers and their data from being modified, destructed and destroyed without any authorization or accidentally.
- He has to discuss with users regarding their computer data access needs, programming changes and security violations.
- He has to gain as much knowledge as he can about new viruses.
- He has to erect firewalls in computer systems and encrypt data transmissions with the aim of concealing confidential information.
- He has to detect any violations of the computer guidelines that may have taken place, discuss it with the violators and ensure that such violations are not repeated in the future.
- He has to do risk assessment tests to ensure that the data is safe and secure.
Skills ad Specifications
- A computer security specialist has to be a quick learner to be successful in this profession.
- Ability to problem – solve and make quick decisions are also a must in this profession.
- He must have the capability of using reasoning and logic to identify and solve critical technological problems.
- He must possess systems analysis skills.
- He must possess the skill of active listening as a lot of his job is listening to the technical problems and needs of users.
Education and Qualifications
Persons who want to become a computer security specialist must have a Bachelor’s degree in systems security, computer sciences or any related field.
Filed in: Security Job Description