Homeland Security Job Profile and Description
Homeland security personnel are responsible for assisting in protecting the integrity and security of the nation against terrorist activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The homeland security personnel are responsible for assisting in the security effort of the Homeland Security Department of the government.
- Depending on the job he has been hired for, he may have to analyze information that is being gathered about possible terrorist threats to the nation.
- He may have to involve himself and assist in infrastructure protection of the nation.
- He may have to assist in ensuring transport and border security against any terrorist attacks.
- He may have to work in emergency tasks as well to ensure that the state is prepared and ready to counter a terrorist attack if it occurs.
- He has to make reports on the project he is assisting in and file it for his superiors.
- He has to enter security data on the computer as and when required.
Skills and Specifications
- Homeland security personnel must have high analytical and organizational skills to be successful in this profession.
- He must have the ability to pass rigorous drug and background tests that will be conducted during the time of recruitment.
- He must have a strong mind and be an emotionally stable person.
- He must have the ability work with a cool head during times of crises.
- It is important that he possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- He must be technologically sound as he has to work on the computer regularly.
- He must have a problem – solving disposition and the ability to take decisions quickly.
Education and Qualifications
Persons who want to be homeland security personnel must have a Bachelor’s degree in public administration or a similar field. Having some experience in the government sector gives an added advantage.