Transportation Security Officer Job Description
With the 9/11 tragedy remaining fresh in the memory, there remains the challenge to ensure the safety and protection of travelers, especially in air transport. Transportation Security Officers inspect baggage or cargo and screen passengers to detect and prevent potentially dangerous objects from being transported into secure areas or onto aircraft. The employ high technology devices as well as specially trained dogs for the purpose.
Transportation Security Officer Duties and Responsibilities
- Stop and challenge suspicious persons, requesting for their IDs and asking probing questions about their business in a particular area.
- Apprehend and detain suspicious persons and conduct interrogation procedures.
- Cordon off entry areas following security breaches, reopening them after receiving clearance that the airport is secure
- Contact security and police support during urgent security situations, using phones or two-way radios.
- Test baggage for any explosive materials, using proper detection equipment and sniff dogs.
- Coordinate with airline and check suspicious passengers’ tickets to ensure that they are valid
- Check gate management system and airline staff to ensure that all passengers who have boarded are accounted for, otherwise, ensure offloading of baggage of gate no-show passengers and initiate investigation and search of missing passenger
Transportation Security Officer Skills and Specifications
- Must have the knowledge and skill to operate metal detectors, weapons and explosives detectors, UV lamp detectors and other emerging detection technologies
- Must have a strong affinity with sniffing dogs if they are assigned to any
- Must have the presence of mind to alert security officers or alarm systems at the outset of a developing situation
- Must be physically fit with quick reflexes
- Excellent interpersonal and organizing skill for crowd control
Transportation Security Officer Education and Qualifications
A high school diploma is basic but a 1-year experience in a related work is an advantage.
Transportation Security Officer Salary
The median wage of a Transportation Security Officer in 2009 stood at $14.14 per hour or $29,420 annually.