Warehouse Guard Job Description
Unless the warehouse is wholly secured by remote high technology surveillance systems on the outside, you need Warehouse Security Guards, also known as Warehouse Security Officers. Of all the premises of a manufacturing plant, the warehouse facility containing finished goods ready for shipment to dealers or raw materials for manufacturing input involve the most effective security to protect their contents. A combination of electronic surveillance systems within and outside coupled with armed security guards are often used.
Warehouse Guard Duties and Responsibilities
· Conduct periodic inspection of premises or property perimeter to protect against fire, theft, vandalism, terrorism, and illegal activity
· Protect employer’s storage and content property, comply with property laws, deter criminal activity, and other problems.
· Exercise prudent and caution if equipped with side arms.
· Operate various forms of telecommunications to coordinate with police, fire, or emergency medical services.
· Prepare comprehensive reports on detailed observations and activities during assigned shift.
· Prepare case reports and testify in court when called for,
- Subdue unruly person and detain persons exhibiting disorderly behaviour in a secured premise until local police units arrive.
- Coordinate with local law enforcement officers when preventing.
Warehouse Guard Skills and Specifications
- Should be between the ages 18 to 26 for entry level positions
- Should be medically healthy and physically fit with quick reflexes and acute alertness to spot unauthorized intrusions and pilferages
- Should be courteous but firm in imposing security policies when dealing with people without proper identification attempting to enter restricted areas
Warehouse Guard Education and Qualifications
- A high school diploma is necessary but depending on the property or asset being secured, some extensive training is needed especially if the position is an armed security guard position. Some states require guards to be licensed.
- A post secondary education in police science or criminal science gives an added advantage.
- A training in some form of martial arts is an advantage
Warehouse Guard Salary
Average annual wages of security guards is $25,000. The middle 50 percent earned between $21,000 and $32,000. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $17,000, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $41,000.