Adoption Specialist Job Profile and Description
An Adoption Specialist’s job involves providing foster care and complete adoption services to families and helping in the assessment, recruitment, and certifying of adoptive families. Their main objective is to build families by assessing child or birth family, acquiring social and medical backgrounds, assessing applications and conducting home studies. The adoption specialist will also be responsible for post adoption assistance and for organizing and rendering necessary services to children and adoptive families.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning the procurement of foster homes for children.
- Following up of adoption inquiries, enrollment of adoptive parents.
- Inspecting carefully home environment for the overall growth and development of the child.
- Ensuring the compliance of all legal proceedings of the adoption process.
- Responsible for family counseling, training, and supervision of foster families.
- Maintaining weekly contact with the foster families, children and the biological parents to monitor the progress of the child and family through the entire process.
- Assessing child behavior and development.
- Preparing evaluation and progression reports and giving any suggestions, recommendations or treatment as required.
- Assisting foster families with child development and adjustment related issues.
Skills and Specifications
- Skills to build contacts and interact with families and children.
- Aptitude to outline adoption contracts and other pertaining adoption documents.
- Understanding of child psychology and socio requirements.
- Good experience in home study analysis.
Education and Qualifications
- At least a bachelor’s degree in psychology, sociology, home studies or counseling is basic.
- Postgraduate degree in social work or related human services field gives an added advantage.