Foster care social worker job description
The job and responsibility of a foster care social worker is to find foster homes for children who are abandoned and do not have a proper place to live. Foster care workers arrange for adoptions and regularly inspect the living conditions of the adopted child.
Foster care social worker duties and responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a foster care social worker are as follows:
- Making efforts to place a child in foster home until the child can either be united with the parents or given for adoption
- In case the child has been separated from parents, trying to reunite the family
- Inspecting the background and the skills of people who approach foster homes to adopt a child
- Ensuring the child is going into a good home and will not be subject to abuse
- Arrange the required paperwork for adoption
- After adoption, visit the home the child has gone into and ensure that the child is being taken care of properly
- Visit the school where the child studies and confirm the well being of the child
- Document all details related to the background of the child and the family
Foster care social worker skills and specifications
The skills and specifications that a foster care social worker requires are:
- Compassion and love for children
- A thorough knowledge about child rights, adoption criteria and federal rules relating to foster care homes
- Skills to communicate exceptionally with the child and the family
- A strong drive to help children and dedication towards work
- Skills to work under pressure
Foster care social worker education and qualification
A foster care social worker should at least have a bachelor’s degree in social work. A certification course in psychology in general and child psychology in particular will be useful.
Foster care social worker salary
The average salary of a foster care social worker is about $49,000 per annum.
Download Foster Care Social Worker Job Description in Word Format