Mental Health Social Worker Job Profile and Description
Mental Health Social Worker’s job is to help individuals with mental health problems within the hospitals, community, and residential units. Their objective is to assess the individuals with mental illness and improve his life. They either work as a part of generic team, or integrated into multidisciplinary community health team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluating customer’s levels of risk, and carrying out their needs assessments.
- Interviewing customers, reviewing records, and conferring with other professionals for the evaluation of physical or mental condition of customer.
- Implementing group and individual therapy sessions and arranging breaks for health care providers, as necessary.
- Planning and conducting programs to improve health, to prevent substance abuse, and to combat social problems.
- Counseling and helping family members to aid them in supporting, understanding, and dealing with the customer.
- Modifying treatment plans in accordance with changes in the customer status.
- Collaborating with physicians, counselors, and nurses to develop, plan and manage treatment.
- Referring patient, family, or customer to other agencies for treatment to help in recovery from physical or mental illness.
- Monitoring, evaluating, and recording customer progress with that of treatment objectives.
Skills and Specifications
- Knowledge of mental health laws and regulations.
- Skills to maintain friendly public relations.
- Skills to deal with stress and effectively manage time.
- Skills to take initiatives and decisions for the betterment of the individuals and their families.
- Must have strong writing and critical thinking skills.
Education and Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree in psychology, social work or sociology from an accredited institution is basic.
- A Master’s degree in the fields related to social work gives an added advantage.
Popular Job Description Search:
Filed in: Social Services Job Description