Prison Social Worker Job Profile and Description
The Prison Social Worker is someone, who completes and supervises various professional assignments to accomplish the activities related to the prisons’ counseling rehabilitation and treatment program. The Prison social worker’s duties entail interview inmates, identifying problems that are to be resolved, examining records, evaluating prisoner’s behavior, and determining resources required. They work with inmates to help in developing and maintaining certain skills, which could raise their job opportunities after their release from prison.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Giving general vocational, social, personal, and academic counseling to individuals.
- Processing security classification sheets or charts to determine the custody level of inmates.
- Evaluating prisoners’ behavior, determining the progress made through various treatment programs.
- Maintaining records, preparing reports, and composing correspondence concerned to the work.
- Preparing progress information and reports to submit them to the higher authorities. Providing assistance in organizing the institutional program for an individual prisoner.
- Interviewing prisoners, their families, interested individuals, or other agencies in order to obtain private history data.
- Meeting with prisoner groups and prisoners to resolve problems as well as to explain related rules and regulations.
- Developing case histories of inmates for use by administrators and psychiatrists to evaluate and treat the social factors in their situation.
Skills and Specifications
- Knowledge of group and individual counseling techniques.
- Skills to acquire and evaluate required information effectively from prisoners.
- Skills to handle variety of individuals.
- Skills to maintain good working relationship with groups and individuals.
Education and Qualifications
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in psychology, criminal justice, social work, criminology and counseling from an accredited institution is imperative.
- Few years of Experience in social service activities gives an added advantage.
Popular Job Description Search:
- prison social worker job description
- Job description for social worker in a victorian prison
- social workers in prison
Filed in: Social Services Job Description