Articling Student Job Profile and Description
The articling student is responsible for providing legal assistance to lawyers and scientists working on legal or policy issues. Their primary duty is to conduct research related to legal, policy and general topics and also have to prepare memoranda for different issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The main job responsibility of an articling student working for a legal firm is to assist in researching and writing
- He files reports and provides general litigation support by helping in drafting pleadings or preparation of case books etc
- He also provides assistance in requests for information and reviews under the Right to Information Act
- He may have to attend meetings and conferences and help with field investigations
- He has to interact with clients or non-governmental organizations and field new case inquiries
- He must review motion and appeal materials, study a wide range of legal issues
- He has to review, edit and comment on draft reasons for judgments and also help judges with speeches, academic papers and presentations
- He may observe counsel in court which will help him hone his skills
Skills and Specifications
- The articling student must have knowledge about the legal issues and policies.
- He should keep himself up to date with the latest developments and changes in the legal world.
- Research skills are extremely important and attention must be paid to details
- Teamwork and communication skills, both written and verbal, are important.
- He should be organized and should be able to multitask.
- A healthy balance must be maintained between theoretical and practical projects.
- He must have strong academic records and be motivated.
- He should show the ability to produce high quality work under strict deadlines.
- He must understand the importance of client confidentiality.
Education and Qualifications
Articling students need to have a law degree from a reputed law college, preferably with specialization in a particular field.
Popular Job Description Search:
Filed in: Student Job Description