Watch Repair Technician Trainee Job Profile and Description
You don’t really become a Watch Repair technician fresh out from vocational school and get immediate trust from customers to bring their Omega or Breitling watches to you for repair. It takes years of apprenticeship under a veteran master who already enjoys a wide customer base and whose patronage is often carried by word of mouth. That goes whether you’re a watch repair technician on your own business or are employed in repair centers. You become a Watch Repair Trainee or Helper first in either case.
Watch Repair Technician Trainee Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform minor wristwatch maintenance work such are manual and ultrasound cleaning, buffing, battery change for quartz models, errands to buy wristwatch parts in authorized centers and billing purposes.
- Assist the watch repair technician in organizing and cleaning repair tools
Watch Repair Technician Trainee Skills and Specifications
- Should have a fine eye for detail and a firm hand to handle the tiny mechanical movements of automatic or manual wristwatches
- Should have outstanding command of electronics in handling miniaturized parts in a quartz digital wristwatch
- Should have working knowledge on the various lithium batteries and their parts nomenclature for correct battery replacement of quartz movements
- Should have outstanding organization skills to ensure the small tools for the work are properly stored
Watch Repair Technician Trainee Education and Qualifications
A post secondary vocational course in watch repair or Horography is necessary but otherwise, a high school diploma is required to be an apprentice under a seasoned watch repairer.
Watch Repair Technician Trainee Salary
There are just around 5,000-6,000 watch repairers in the entire US continent and the youngest is said to be in their early 50s. The demand is high as most of them would be retiring in the next 10 years. The typical average salary is around $44,000 per annum which has gone down over the years due to the fact that most wristwatches have become disposable commodities. But the emerging brands of automatic mechanical wristwatches that have become upscale keep the job demand up. As a Trainee or Helper, though, expect only a fraction of the average.
Popular Job Description Search:
- description when the watch repair started
- watch fixer responsibilities and duties
- WATCH REPAIR TECHNICIAN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Watch Technician Trainee
Filed in: Trainee Job Description