Motor Vehicle License Examiner Job Profile and Description
Working in the Division of Motor Vehicles of the state, the MV License Examiner, also called driver’s license examiner, or licensing registration examiner, is the officer responsible for rejecting or approving a resident’s quest to obtain the type of driver’s license applied for. The MV License Examiner conducts various tests including road test to evaluate applicant’s eligibility and suitability for a license.
Motor Vehicle License Examiner Duties and Responsibilities
- Examine, evaluate, and investigate eligibility for, conformity with, or liability under licenses or permits.
- Conduct driving tests for all classes of driver licenses
- Accompany license applicant through the road test route and evaluate driving performance.
- Verbally inform assessment of applicants about their performance during the test and inform them whether they failed or passed the test upon conclusion of test.
- Indicate proper restrictions on drivers’ licenses, as required.
- Conduct field investigations of driving schools, private service bureaus, and public carriers and to prepare written reports of findings.
- Investigate complaints and fraudulent activities and you may be required to testify at division hearings.
- Review and evaluate applications, records, and documents in order to gather information about eligibility or liability issues.
- Administer oral, written, and road tests to license applicants.
- Advise applicants who pass the exam accordingly.
Motor Vehicle License Examiner Skills and Specifications
- Has strong understanding of road and traffic safety laws
- Has quick reflexes and high level of alertness at all times
- Should have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Should have above average social and interpersonal skills
Motor Vehicle License Examiner Education and Qualifications
- A high school diploma is necessary and should pass the Civil Service eligibility exam depending on the state.
- At least one-year experience in heavy client facing function in a related work like sales or client service.
Motor Vehicle License Examiner Salary
The average annual salary for a Motor Vehicle License Examiner today stands at $49,000 in California. The national average salary is around $51,000. There’s wide variation between states.